Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I am sorry, I've been negligent!

I haven't found a good long rant for a long time and I have been negligent to my loyal followers. For this I apologize. I supposed this would be a good starting point for a new analysis on something completely irritating to me. Let's talk about the medical system.

I had an appointment back around June of '10. In this appointment, my doctor basically threw pills at me. By this, I mean since I had my medical records from the previous doctor that I had, he took a long look at what I was on and decided to "test" me with conversation about the medications I was given.

I told him about my ailments and that one in particular is on-going, so that prescription has been going on for a while. The other one happens on a rare occasion. Another one is frequent, but not frequent enough to be abused and the last medication is hit or miss with me.

He offers an alternative to Vicodin. Let me tell you that a bottle of 30 pills of Vicodin lasts me anywhere from 6-12 months or more depending on how bad the knee pain gets in the winter and in the summer. He tells me that Tramadol might work and it has less side effects. I tell him that it's fine as long as when I'm in a lot of pain it takes the edge off. It is now February of '11 and I've got most of the bottle still left, I think I've used it twice.

Now insomnia is something I have and I hate, hate, HATE it. It makes me depressed during the day, unmotivated and unproductive. Ambien helps me out once in a while when the number of hours I've slept are lower than the number of days have passed. Let me tell you, people get HIGH off of Ambien, more than a little. It's also very addictive. The first time I took it (prescribed to me at the hospital), I hallucinated about zombies and worked out a zombie plan in my head!

I was prescribed Ambien without a second thought. I got 5 refills between June and December. During that time, I only refilled once. It expired in December, so I had the pharmacy put in another request. The doctor that saw me is no longer with the clinic, and the head of the clinic denied it because they want to see me at the office.

Fine, I haven't had a check up in 8 months. I'm irritated because I have to go all the way across town, sit in a smelly, ghetto waiting room. I also have to deal with unprofessional front desk staff and long wait times. I seriously debated not getting Ambien and sticking with Tylenol PM, but I figure as long as it's under the supervision of a professional, for the MOST part, I should be fine.

I've thought about going on Chantix, but I don't know that I can seeing as I am also on an anti-depressant. Chantix comes with a nasty possible side-effect of suicidal thoughts, hostility and violence, all things that are not good, for me especially.

I shall update everyone on how it goes in the next couple hours when I have my appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment